Load Sample Data into Your Atlas Cluster¶
Atlas provides sample data you can load into your Atlas clusters. You can use this data to quickly get started experimenting with data in MongoDB and using tools such as the Atlas Perform CRUD Operations in Atlas and MongoDB Charts.
For a list of datasets in the sample and a description of each, see Available Sample Datasets for Atlas Clusters. Each dataset page contains information on the databases, collections, and indexes in the dataset.
Load Sample Data¶
To utilize the sample data provided by Atlas, you must create an Atlas cluster to load data into. See Create a New Cluster for instructions.
There are two ways in which you can load sample data into your Atlas cluster. You can either load sample data from the Clusters view or the Data Explorer.
Select the appropriate tab based on how you would like to load sample data:
To load sample data into your cluster from the Clusters view:
Navigate to your Clusters view.¶
In the left navigation pane in Atlas, click Clusters.
Open the Load Sample Dataset dialog.¶
- Locate the cluster where you want to load sample data.
- Click the Ellipses (...) button for your cluster.
- Click Load Sample Dataset.
In the dialog, click Load Sample Dataset¶
The dialog closes and Atlas begins loading your sample dataset into your cluster.
View your sample data.¶
To view your sample data by click your cluster's Collections button. You should see the following databases in your cluster:
For details on the collections and documents included in these datasets, see Available Sample Datasets for Atlas Clusters.
Sample Data Namespaces¶
When you load the sample data, Atlas creates the following namespaces on your cluster:
If any of these namespaces already exist on your cluster when you attempt to load the sample data, the operation will fail and no sample data will be loaded into your cluster.
Tutorials Using Sample Data¶
The Get Started with Atlas tutorial walks through setting up an Atlas cluster and populating that cluster with sample data.
MongoDB Charts Tutorials¶
The following MongoDB Charts tutorials guide you through visualizing sample data provided by Atlas:
MongoDB University Courses that Use Sample Data¶
The following MongoDB University courses and trainings utilize the sample data provided by Atlas.
- M001: MongoDB Basics
- MongoDB Basics is designed for learners brand new to MongoDB.
- M121: The MongoDB Aggregation Framework
- Learn how to use MongoDB Aggregation Framework in your application development practices.
- M220J: MongoDB for Java Developers
- Learn how to use MongoDB as the database for a Java application.
- Learn how to use MongoDB as the database for a Node.js application.
- M220P: MongoDB for Python Developers
- Learn how to use MongoDB as the database for a Python application.
- All In-Person Training
- Get quickly ramped on MongoDB with comprehensive private training programs for developers and operations teams.