Improve Your Schema¶
Your schema is the architecture of your cluster, including your collections, indexes and documents. Atlas offers two ways to detect common schema design issues and suggests modifications that follow MongoDB’s best practices:
- The Performance Advisor provides holistic schema recommendations for your cluster by sampling documents in your most active collections and collections with slow-running queries.
- The Data Explorer offers schema suggestions for a specific collection by sampling documents in that collection.
To learn more about how to apply the suggestions offered in either the Performance Advisor or Data Explorer, refer to the following pages:
Reason for Suggestion
You are running too many
Your documents contain array fields with many elements, which can degrade query performance.
You have unnecessary indexes in your collection, which can consume disk space and degrade write performance.
You have excessively large documents, which can degrade the performance of your most frequent queries.
You have an exceedingly high number of collections in a database, which can result in unnecessary disk space usage.
You are executing case-insensitive regex queries which could be improved with an index.
Limitations of Schema Suggestions¶
- Schema suggestions for a collection are partly driven by a random sampling of documents from that collection. Because this sampling is performed each time your schema is analyzed, you may see different suggestions at different times for the same collection.
- The Performance Advisor monitors slow
queries recognize certain schema issues, namely too many
$lookupoperations and not utilizing an index for case-sensitive regex queries. If a cluster does not consistently receive long-running queries, the Performance Advisor may not suggest all potential improvements for that cluster, or may not show all reasons why an improvement is being suggested.
- The Performance Advisor analyzes
the 20 most active collections based on the output of the
topcommand. To see suggestions for a specific collection, view that collection in the Data Explorer.