Data Transfer Costs¶
Sources of Data Transfer Costs¶
Atlas data transfer costs depend on the cloud service provider where you deployed the cluster. Multi-region clusters may have higher data transfer costs depending on the number and location of additional regions, as well as the number of clusters deployed to each region.
Atlas tabulates data transfer costs daily.
Atlas doesn't charge for data transfer for:
- Incoming or outgoing data on
- Incoming data to an Atlas node.
Atlas charges for data transfer between the Atlas node and another node. Data transfer charges increase, from lowest to highest, when you transfer data between your Atlas node and another node:
- In the same AWS region.
- In a different AWS region.
- Outside of any AWS region, excluding incoming transfers to the Atlas node.
Live Migrate Your Data to Atlas¶
MongoDB hosts and operates the free Atlas Live Migration Service to help users migrate existing MongoDB databases to MongoDB Atlas. MongoDB doesn't charge for any incoming data transfers to an Atlas cluster. Learn more about migrating to Atlas.
How to Reduce Data Transfer Costs¶
The vast majority of Atlas customers spend less than 10% of their budget on data transfer. If you are spending significantly more, some of these optimizations may reduce your data transfer costs:
Check all applications and processes that access your data for inefficiencies. Ensure that queries do not:
- Re-read data that already exists on the client.
- Re-write existing data to your cluster.
Ensure that queries originate from the same cloud region and provider as your Atlas cluster whenever possible.
When cross-region queries are necessary:
- Use the Aggregation Framework to preprocess
your data before you transfer it. For example, you can project
document fields using the
$projectaggregation stage to reduce the size of a document before you transfer it.
- Ensure that your client driver uses wire protocol compression to communicate with MongoDB. Atlas always compresses intra-cluster communication. To learn how to configure your driver, refer to your Driver's Documentation.
Queries from non-cloud environments into Atlas, across cloud providers, or between continents on the same cloud provider incur the greatest data transfer costs.